Make no mistakes!!!
There is always light at the end of every dark tunnel.
I could remember a time I was faced with gross darkness, everywhere I try running to seem "fifty shades darker".
I was in my final year in school and I emerged as the first female president of Mathematics Department.(Though I was to be reminded that in history over a decade ago, the department has had a female president). At first I enjoyed the post and was always here and there as the first lady(lol)
Then the dark side began, I had to see to the affairs of all students in the department and at the same time study for my exams and also write my project.
It got to a point I was frustrated and almost gave up, when I turn to any of my other executives for help they give one excuse or the other, and the crown lies on my head, I mustn't let it to down.
When I was almost giving up, light came in form of my Fiance who gave me five ways of making my burden lighter:
Here are five ways to turn the darkness into light.
1. Practice kindness. Go out of our way to help people. Smile often. Compliment others. And remember that we can’t genuinely be kind to others if we don’t know how to be kind to ourselves. In doing this people started volunteering to help me handle some duties even when I don't ask them for help.
2. Reframe your goals. Instead of thinking about what you don’t like about yourself or your life, focus on what you do want. For example, instead of worrying about not having enough time to do some things, plan on how to go about managing your time. I set goals for each day, academically and even for the office.
3. Living “as if.” Many of us want to achieve specific goals in order to feel a certain way. We want the promotion so we can feel secure. We want a prestigious title so that we can feel powerful. We want accomplished children so that we can feel proud. We don’t need to wait until we have accomplished a never-ending list of goals to feel good about our lives. Act as if you already have everything you need. Feeling and living ‘as if’ we are living our best lives illuminates the path towards actualizing more and more of our potential.
I decided to live as if, without doing this things, I won't get the crown awaiting me, it worked and my tenure became the best so far in the history of the department.
4. Thinking creatively. Too often the possibilities in our lives appear very narrow. Take a step back and ask often: What’s the best that can happen in this situation? Think out of the box and consider a whole list of solutions and ideas. The more we learn to see past the limits of who we used to be, the greater space we make for light within us.
I did this a lot and I came out stronger.
5. Connect to God. Part of creating and sustaining a relationship with God is believing that He loves you, that He believes in you and that He wants to be close to you. Faith is not just for helping us through the hard times. It is the daily building of a belief system in which we can connect to God when we’re happy, when we’re sad and when we’re everything in between. Bring the light of that connection into every day.
This was the best part, because handing everything over to God made it all too easy for me.
Here I am today, a graduate of Mathematics Department, University of Ibadan, Nigeria. I'll be going for my National Youth Corps next month and I'm looking forward to shining my light further when I get to service.
This article is written in respect to the Fourth weekly Prompt by @JonicaBradley Titled "Darkness".
Thanks @HappyBoy for reminding me of the prompt in your post and thanks for the sponsorship.
If you decide on writing on the prompt-
The rules are simple:
Write about darkness
Write 100% original content
Write at least 600 words
Till next time guys!🤗🤗🤗 byeeeee.
...and you will also help the author collect more tips.
Connecting to God. Yes that is really important. We will shine as bright as the light when we want it to be. We just have to be positive. 😉