7 Facts About Suicide Everyone Should Know:
- Every 2 hours and 11 minutes someone under the age of 25 completes suicide.
- 24% of high school students have seriously thought about attempting suicide.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15 -24 year olds and the sixth leading cause of death for 5 – 15 year olds.
- More teens and young adults died as a result of suicide in 1999 than cancer, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, birth defects, stroke and chronic lung disease combined.
- For every older teen and young adult who takes his or her own life, 100-200 of their peers attempt suicide.
- 15.8% of high school students reported that they seriously considered attempting suicide, 12.8% reported creating a plan, and 7.8% had attempted suicide 1 or more times.
- Suicide among males is 4 times higher than females. However, females are more likely than males to have suicidal thoughts.
These facts are tough to read, but so important to know. If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, get help now. Call the national suicide prevention hotline: 1-800-273-8255