The 2006 State of National Emergency

0 39
Avatar for rapsantos
3 years ago

On this day (February 24), the year was 2006. As the nation was about to be taken over by an attempted coup d'etat followed by series of protests from leftist groups. The previous coup was from July 27, 2003, which was called the Oakwood mutiny - former Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, a few members of her cabinet, and the military were charged with corruption including the Hello Garci scandal during the 2004 presidential elections.

I was about to finish elementary during that time and here's what happened. 14 junior officers from the Philippine Navy & Marines were arrested for plotting a coup on February 22, 2006, including Scout Rangers Brigadier General Danilo Lim, was put under custody of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. Demonstrations were held at EDSA Shrine.

Pres. Gloria-Macapagal Arroyo declares school activities to be suspended at all levels (elementary to college) and issued Proclamation No. 1017 which the whole country was under a state of emergency. Many have feared this might eventually lead to martial law. But Arroyo explained she quashed the attempted coup, and the military confined troops to their camps to keep them from joining protests against her rule. The proclamation effectively canceled all rally permits and legalized arrests without issuing a warrant.

The protesters at EDSA were dispersed, while others made their demonstrations at some key places around the capital region: La Salle Green Hills, Ninoy Aquino Monument on Ayala Avenue, Makati City, the University of the Philippines on Quezon City but they were violently dispersed by the police at the EDSA-Kamuning Intersection. Demonstrators gathered at the Ninoy Aquino Monument in Makati City to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the People Power Revolution of 1986. Former Pres. Corazon Aquino calls for Arroyo's resignation along with left-wing activists raising their fists, but the police later moved to disperse the crowd during the night.

On March 3, 2006, it was officially lifted after the president's announcement 2 days before. It only lasted for a week. This led to low-security alerts of the Philippine National Police & the Armed Forces of the Philippines.


Lead Image from

$ 0.00
Avatar for rapsantos
3 years ago