When someone suddenly faints at home or in the office, the commotion starts. Some pour water on the head, some rub oil on the soles of the feet, some try to open the mouth with something inside the mouth. In fact, you should know how the people around you will behave responsibly at this moment.
Bleeding of the brain, deficiency of water and salt in the body, low blood sugar level etc. are likely to cause unconsciousness due to various reasons. Many times it can create serious health risks.
➰ The first thing to do is to call the emergency care provider. Now in Bangladesh also the system of calling emergency services by calling 999 has been introduced. In addition, there are many ambulance services who can reach home quickly by phone. If you do this first, you will have time to do the rest of the work until the service provider arrives.
- What to do if someone is unconscious
1. Lay the unconscious man on a flat place. Make sure the legs are higher than the head.
2. Loosen all clothes.
3. Tilt the back of the head slightly, so that the mouth is open. This makes it easier to breathe.
4. Arrange for air. If you don't have a fan, air it with a magazine or any other object.
5. Keep wiping face and neck with wet cloth.
6. Convulsions may also occur at this time. If there is something that can hurt if you have a convulsion, remove it from the front. Move the patient to a safe place as soon as possible from dangerous objects such as sharp objects, kitchen, fire source, etc.
7. When the patient starts having seizures, do not panic and try to hold on for days to stop the seizures. If possible, tilt to one side quickly so that the saliva or discharge in the mouth and throat can come out.
8. If breathing is stopped, artificial respiration should be given. Notice from the movement of the chest whether the patient is breathing. If anyone in or around the house knows how to breathe face to face, call him.
9. People usually regain consciousness within one to two minutes of becoming unconscious. If anyone is unconscious for longer than this, take them to the doctor immediately.
10. Today, almost every home has a blood pressure monitor. If the blood pressure is very low or not available, raise the side of the foot a little or put a pillow under the foot.
11. If you are diabetic, check with a glucometer to see if your blood sugar has dropped. Even if there is no instrument, it is better to put a little sugar in the mouth.
- Do not do anything if someone is unconscious
1. Do not shake the patient under any circumstances. Do not try to wake up the unconscious patient by slapping him on the face or cheek.
2. Don't drink anything until you have fully regained consciousness. There is a risk that the drink will get stuck in the throat or go to the lungs.
3. Never try to make an unconscious person sit or stand.
4. Don’t try to move him for no reason.
5. Do not try to put any spoon or such thing in the mouth. Do not try to forcefully stop the convulsions or sniff different things near the nose.
6. There is no benefit in unnecessarily increasing the crowd and shouting. Rather, if it is due to irregular heartbeat, the patient's problem may increase.
Last but not least, a healthy person can suddenly become unconscious due to various reasons. Whatever the reason, arrange for him to be taken to the emergency department of any hospital after initial care, whether he regains consciousness or not.
I translated my article into bengali language. Here is the link