Delicious and spicy one pot chicken biryani is served with raita or salan (gravy).
PREP TIME:1 HOUR
COOK TIME:25 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 4 PEOPLE
INGREDIENTS (1 CUP = 250ML )
Marination ingredients for chicken biryani
• ½ kg chicken (or 1.l lbs)
• 3 tbps plain yogurt (curd or dahi)
• ¼ tbps haldi (turmeric)
• ½ to 1 tbps red chilli powder (or paprika) (use less spicy variety)
• ½ to 1 tbps garam masala or biryani masala (any brand)
• 1 tbps Lemon juice (optional)
• 1 ¼ tbps ginger garlic paste or minced & crushed
• ½ tsp (Salt as needed or as per your taste)
Other ingedients for chicken biryani
• 2 cups of basmati rice (aged/old rice)
• 2 tbps GHEE or oil
• 1 tbps garam masala or biryani masala
• 3 cups water or coconut milk (3½ cups if making in pot)
• ¾ tbps salt to sprinkle in water
• 2 tbps fried onions (optional)
• 1 large onion (sliced thinly)
• ¼ to ½ cup mint (or pudina chopped - about 12 to 15 leaves)
• 1 green chili (slit or chopped)
• ¼ cup plain yogurt or (curd or dahi)
• ¼ to ½ tbps red chili powder (optional, skip for kids)
Whole spices (skip if you don't have any)
• 1 bay leaf ( tej patta)
• 1 inch Cinnamon or dalchini
• 1 Star anise or chakri phool
• ¾ teaspoon shahi jeera or caraway seeds (substitute with cumin)
• 1 strand mace or javitri
• 4 green cardamoms or choti elaichi
• 4 to 6 cloves or lavang
HOW TO MAKE THE RECIPE
Preparation for chicken biryani before cooking
Take a bowl and add curd, ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp salt, biryani masala powder, turmeric & chili powder in it then Mix up well and taste the marinade. Add more salt and spice if needed as per your taste make gashes on the chicken and add it to the marinade & set aside for 1 hour.
Rinse basmati rice thrice and soak for 30 mins.
How to make chicken biryani
• Take a a cooker or pot and heat ghee or oil in it.
• Saute whatever whole spices you have - cardamoms ,bay leaf, cloves, staranise , cinnamon, shahi jeera & mace for a minute.
• Fry onions evenly stirring often until its colour is light brown.
• Add marinated chicken & saute for 5-6 mins on a medium heat flame.
• Cover & cook on a low flame until the chicken is soft cooked or tender.
• Saute to evaporate any excess moisture in the pot.
• Add yogurt (curd), red chili powder ,mint, green chili & 1 tsp of garam masala and mix it well.
• Mix everything well and layer chicken evenly at the bottom.
• Spread rice in a layer over the chicken.
• Pour 3½ cups water or thin coconut milk to a bowl. If cooking in a pot use 3 ½ cups water.
• Pour 2½ cups of this water across the sides of the cooker or pot. Gently pour the rest on top of the rice.
• Level the rice if needed. Sprinkle mint & fried onions if using.
• Set the flame to medium high. Cover & place the whistle. Cook for 1 whistle. Move the cooker away from the burner to stop cooking further.
• Rest until the pressure settles. Fluff up the chicken biryani with a fork.
• Serve from top to the bottom layer. Each serving gets biryani rice from top and chicken from the bottom layer.
• Enjoy chicken biryani with raita and sliced veggies, papad and shorba (biryani gravy) with your friends ,family or guests and share your experience how much you like.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Carbohydrates: 87g | | Calories: 754kcal | | Protein: 35g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | | Iron: 4.4mg | Potassium: 551mg | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 1063mg | Fiber: 4.5g | Sugar: 2.1g | Vitamin A: 696IU | Vitamin C: 10.2mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 4.4mg