For the dough:
1 cup of Whole Milk
1/2 cup of Water
2-1/2 tsp of Active Dry Yeast
5-1/2 to 6 cups (keep some flour on hand in case you need more) of all Purpose Flour
1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
3 tsp of Salt
1/3 cup of Unsalted Butter, melted
1 Tbsp of Vanilla Extract
For the filling:
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, very soft at room temperature (or semi melted)
1 1/4 cups of Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp of Cinnamon
For the glaze:
4 oz of Cream Cheese, softened at room Temp
2 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temp
2 cups of Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp of Vanilla 4-5 Tbsp of Whole milk
1) Add the milk and water to a small bowl (I use a glass measuring cup) microwave for 45 seconds, then stir in the yeast and 2 tsp of sugar, set aside to bloom, about 5 minutes.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the flour, sugar, salt, bloomed yeast mixture, butter, egg and vanilla, knead on medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until a dough forms. If the dough seems sticky, add an additional 3/4 cup of flour, slowly until the dough pulls from the sides of the mixer.
3) Remove the dough, place in an oiled bowl, cover and allow it to rise until doubled in volume, about 1-1/2 hours.
4) In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
5) Once the dough is risen, deflate, then place on a well floured surface, roll out into a long rectangle, brush with the butter, sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar, then start rolling into a tight long cigar (watch video for clear instructions).
6) Cut out the rolls, you should get about 20 good size rolls here, place them in a large buttered baking pan, cover with some plastic wrap, allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes, then place them in the fridge overnight.
7) Take the rolls out of the fridge about an hour and 15 minutes before baking, let them rest and rise somewhere warm until doubled in volume, then preheat your oven to 350 degrees, bake them for 20 minutes until beautiful golden, meanwhile make the glaze.
8) In a small bowl, using a handheld electric whisk, whisk together the cream cheese and butter until creamy, add the vanilla and powder sugar, whisk for a minute until thick and well combined, then slowly add the milk while whisking until you get your desired whisk constancy.
9) Pour glaze over warm rolls and dig in!